The Health Science Center, adheres to the:
The Health Science Center:
- holds an Assurance Statement on file with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW), is registered with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), and is accredited with the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC) .
program for the humane care and use of laboratory animals involves four entities working together to ensure that the University remains in compliance with federal and institutional guidelines and regulations and remains accredited by the regulatory agencies. The four entities are:
- Designated Animal Research Officers (DARO)
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Office of the Institutional Animal Care Program (IACP)
- Department of Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR)
Any deficiencies or perceived deficiencies in animal care and treatment should be reported promptly to the Laboratory Animal Resources staff, the Institutional Animal Care Program staff, any DARO or departmental chair, any Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee member, or the University Police. The identity of those filing reports will be kept confidential as required by the Animal Welfare Act. Reports of abuse or misuse of laboratory animals will be investigated immediately by the veterinarians, the IACUC, and if necessary, the University Police.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) | The University of Texas Health Science Center | Links provided from UTHSCSA pages to other web sites do not constitute or imply an endorsement of those sites, their content, or products and services associated with those sites.
Website Contact: IACP Office
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio